Wednesday 2 September 2015

Never miss an opportunity....

...to buy handmade!

I'M BACK!!! For those of you who were unaware I'd even left, I've been travelling Canada for the last month! To be more precise it was a road trip around Western Canada starting and finishing in Vancouver and taking in the glorious Rockies. In a nutshell it went something like this:

HIghlights from The Rockies roadtrip 2015!
Highlights from The Rockies Road Trip 2015!

If you'd like to read more about what I got up to on my adventure I have a travel blog here. The last couple of days still need to be written up but consisted mainly of lazing on the beach and shopping for goodies!
One of the many goodies that I wanted to share with you is this stunning silver bangle I picked up in Vancouver.
Hummingbird bangle handmade by Robert (Bob) Cross
My road trip buddy and I first discovered The Silver Gallery in the gas town district of Vancouver on our first visit to the city and fell in love with pretty much everything!!! We left empty handed though as we were so overwhelmed with the choice of native artists styles and meaning behind each creature portrayed on the many bangles, rings and pendants. So, instead, we spent the rest of our trip researching the symbolism, discovering more about the culture during trips to museums and figuring out what type of jewellery we might want. I was instantly drawn to the hummingbird after reading that they help you focus on the positive in life, that despite their size they travel vast distances and that they can hover in one place, fly sideways, backwards and forwards. They teach us to look back to our past, but not to dwell, instead to move forward. 
I also loved reading a legend from the Kwakwaka'wakw says that Dzunuk'wa (the mythic guardian of the mountains and Wild Women of the Woods) loved this little bird so much, she let him nest in her hair, in return the hummingbird looked like a jewel pinned in her hair.
After narrowing it down to a bangle I then kept my eyes peeled each and every time we stumbled upon a jewellery shop but I never quite found the right one as I knew I wanted the engraved pattern to be symmetrical and meet in the middle.

The two hummingbirds meet in the middle with their beaks in a flower
 So after 2 weeks on the road we returned to Vancouver and headed straight for the Silver Gallery but it was closed!! Eventually we called in on our last full day before flying home and I chatted with the store manager about what I was after and she showed me some skinny bangles (as that's what I thought I wanted!) but we both realised they weren't quite right and so she showed me the Robert Cross bangle I ended up buying. It was over double my budget but the step up in craftsmanship and skill was clear to see and I just knew it was the one!!!

Sometimes pieces of jewellery just speak to you and I don't often buy jewellery for myself (you can probably imagine the 'ooo, did you make that yourself?!' comments you get regularly!) but when I do, I love supporting other handmade artists and this was a prime opportunity to snap something up that I probably won't stumble upon again.
Plus, after googling the artists name and seeing photographs of how these work of silver are produced, I was blown away!






Pyrography pendant handmade by Tiny Timber Designs
Another sweet little purchase I made was this wooden pendant burnt with mountain and forest details by Tiny Timber Designs.
It's handmade in British Columbia using reclaimed wood which is sliced to shape and then the design is burnt into the surface. I found this hanging up on the desk in the Kamloops visitor centre - again, just something I knew I'd never find elsewhere and so had to purchase as a little memento of my time in the Rockies!

I did come back with a few stones that are patiently waiting to be set and turned into new pieces. They include Canadian jade, howlite, sodalite and aventurine - quite earthy colours as I'm thinking of a botanical theme for my next collection release.

The Graceful Deviant website is now up and running again with all stock levels updated as is The Blue Starfish website although it looks a bit bare after a successful sale before I went away!! So I will keep you all posted with new items as soon as they are added.

If you have any stories behind jewellery you've bought or been given I'd love to hear them! Feel free to share below!

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment