Wednesday 28 May 2014

Featured Bead Artisan Part V: Michaela Carrington

Come and say hello to Michaela!

Another new find for me from The Big Bead Show back in April, Michaela had a great set up of glass beads and fused glass artworks.

How did you begin your craft?  

I saw some dichroic glass at a local craft fair and the lovely lady taught me how to cut glass. I wanted a hobby far removed from my day job as an Accountant. My obsession with glass started, soon to be followed by lampwork.
Dichroic glass hearts ready for making into pendants

Where do you draw your inspiration?

My biggest inspiration comes from my workshop students who come to my classes full of ideas, I just have to come up with the techniques! 
Students working hard!

Describe one of your favourite techniques to use in your work?

In lampwork I love the simple dot that transforms a plain bead, in fusing I'm loving mixing painting with frit work in the same piece.
My spotty bead haul from Michaela!
Some of the fused glass artworks at the show too.

Is there anything new you are itching to try and incorporate?

Fused box casting - first attempt this weekend! Have a look at my facebook page www.facebook.com/Michaela-Carrington-Designs for the results!
Fused glass trinket box with heart motif

What would you describe as your biggest professional achievement?

Being filmed for Bead.TV, jewellery projects using my very own lampwork beads.
The dotty beads make an appearance in this gorgeous bracelet!
Michaela also runs an online shop at: https://www.etsy.com/shop/micpru

2 comments:

  1. Michaela's dotty beads were some of the first I saw at The Big Bead Show that inspired me when I started lampworking. She was so encouraging to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fab! Michaela was very happy and chatty when I met her in April and her beads so pretty - such lovely colour palettes.

      Delete