Thursday 24 April 2014

Featured Bead Artisan Part II: Pixel Pyro Lampwork

Say hello to Su Bagley

Welcome to the second part of my featured artisan insight which this week introduces lampworker Su!
Su Bagley - Lampwork Artist

How did you begin your craft?   

I have always enjoyed making things..... from a very young age nothing delighted me more than rummaging through my Nan's old button tin which contained hundreds of brightly coloured buttons, I would sit for hours stringing them onto cotton or thin ribbon to make bracelets and necklaces.
Years on when I was pregnant with my second daughter, I re-discovered my passion for stringing, but not buttons this time, beads. Soon I was making jewellery as birthday gifts for friends and family. I soon discovered handmade lampwork beads and loved to use them in my pieces as they are so unique.
In 2007 I read an article in a bead magazine about these lampwork beads and I was intrigued....I never truly thought that this would be something I would be able to do, but on a visit to Chester bead fair a Lampwork glass supplier happened to be demonstrating making glass beads, that was it I was hooked and took home a beginners kit that contained all I needed to make my own beads and since then all of my spare time has been taken up learning the age old craft of making glass beads. 

Where do you draw your inspiration?

I'm based on the Wirral Peninsula on the North West coast of England, so my work is usually inspired by my semi-rural, seaside surroundings and the beautiful sunsets that come with living on the coast.
Pixel Pyro Lampwork Beach Focal
Pixel Pyro Lampwork Beach Focal

 Describe one of your favourite techniques to use in your work? 

I love to make organic styled beach inspired beads, these beads are made using one of my favourite techniques that includes fine silver leaf melted into ivory coloured glass which produces an organic pebble effect when the glass reacts with the metal at high temperatures.
Forming a glass bead in the open flame!

Su Bagley Lampwork Pebble Beads

 Is there anything new you are itching to try and incorporate?

Although I initially started my craft as a jewellery maker, that soon took a back seat as I spent all of my spare time learning how to create glass beads, I really would like to progress my silversmithing skills and incorporate more precious metals within my designs.
Big Holed Bead with Rose Detail

What would you describe as your biggest professional achievement?

My biggest professional achievement is being completely self taught and becoming proficient in a craft that I love. Seeing my work used in other peoples designs really makes me happy :)
Busy at work in the studio!

You can find out more about Su and view her work here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pixel-Pyro-Lampwork/154047531283558
https://beta.folksy.com/shops/Sooble
https://www.flickr.com/photos/su_bagley/

Thank you to Su for agreeing to be featured here on my blog and there are still plenty more to come!

2 comments:

  1. I really like the pebble beads. Its very interesting to hear the stories behind the indivdual elements behind Ellen's jewellery. Can't wait for next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you RickyH!!! There are many more to come so I'm glad you are enjoying them :)

    ReplyDelete