Tuesday 15 April 2014

Featured Bead Artisan: Turner Rowe Glass Art

Say hello to Jo Turner

This is the first of a mini series giving my customers, fans and followers and insight into some of the many talented artisans who make the lovely beads and components I am starting to incorporate in my designs.

So without further ado, please let me introduce Jo!
Jo Turner - lampwork glass bead artist


How did you begin your craft?   

I have tried just about every craft there is at one time or another! I needed balance as my chosen carer was in biological science. I finally settled on making jewellery a number of years ago, mostly from silver. My focus began with silver but moved to beads. I became obsessed with making my own glass beads and have been hooked ever since!

Where do you draw your inspiration?

I don’t need to look far for inspiration – a cloud, a colour, a texture, nature, the sea…anything and everything can be inspiring - imagine a butterfly flitting about…that’s my way of thinking!
Handmade glass flowers and leaves

Describe one of your favourite techniques to use in your work? 

The whole idea of melting glass to a fluid form fascinates me, so it’s difficult for me to describe one favourite. I love sculptural work, which entails pulling the glass around when it’s in just the right fluid state to produce movement – hence my signature Goddess beads but I also love implosion work, so a little scene emerges inside the glass, making people wonder how you got it inside the bead!
Lampwork glass flower focal bead by Turner Rowe Glass Art

 Is there anything new you are itching to try and incorporate?

I am always incorporating new ideas – I love making mixed media items and incorporate anything I think won’t spectacularly combust!  My favourites though, are the Goddesses where I use fine silver, copper electroplating (made in a little laboratory within my studio) and gold.
Signature handmade glass goddess sculptural bead
Lampwork Goddess Pendant by Jo Turner

What would you describe as your biggest professional achievement?

As a lampworker and jewellery maker, I feel that my biggest professional achievement is to grow my business to a point where I have a lovely teaching studio and am headhunted for projects from time to time – I’ve just been asked to contribute to a well-known jewellery magazine, so watch this space!
Small scale glass blown shells
You can find out more about Jo and see her glorious work here:
https://www.facebook.com/turnerroweglassart
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TurnerRoweGlassArt?ref=si_shop
http://www.turnerroweglassart.com/

I hope you enjoyed reading a little about Jo and stay tuned for more features coming soon!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not a problem! It's so intriguing to find out how creative minds start out :)

      Delete